Tuesday, November 18, 2014

IPSY Glam Bag: October Un-boxing; September Review

Oooh!  The excitement!

Okay, I realize that we are well into November and I am posting an October "un-boxing."  Here's the deal... it took me a while to decide whether or not I wanted to post beauty-related content or not.  I am not, i repeat NOT a beauty guru.  However, since the beauty world is a new adventure for me, I figured that it related to this blog.

So, if you like subscription un-boxings like I do, or you are interested in honest reviews by someone who may or may not know what they are talking about... read on my friend, read on!

If you are wondering what an IPSY Glam Bag is, it is a monthly beauty subscription.  It costs $10 a month and you receive a cosmetics bag filled with 5 different beauty items tailored to you.  Some are full-size and some are samples, but the contents is always worth more than $10.  You can CLICK HERE if you want to check it out.  You can earn points through referrals and reviewing the products you receive, to redeem for additional items.

Here's what I got in my October Glam Bag bag:

The candy theme is cute, but not very autumnal... it seems more spring-like to me.

I'm not sure about this bag... I'll use it, but again, seems more spring/summer to me.  It does seem easy to clean though, so that's a plus.  I like to use little pouches like this to organize my purse.

ECRU New York: Acacia Protein BB Cream Beauty Balm for Hair, NYC: Big Bold Curl - Curl & Volume Mascara, Figs & Rouge: Nourishing & Soothing Hand Cream - Rose Berry, Skyn Iceland: Glacial Cleansing Cloths, Noyah: All Natural Lipstick - Deeply in Mauve

Tiny Lipstick

Lipstick Swatch

My first impressions are:

I am excited to try the BB for hair.  My hair is curly and the ends are always  dry.  This balm claims "ultimate conditioning, manageability, smoothness, body, and shine."  We shall see.

I'm not in love with the packaging of the mascara... it is HUGE!  However, if it actually delivers "big bold curl," then it might be worth the extra real estate on my vanity.

The hand cream is love at first smell, which is AMAZING and moisturizes without feeling greasy.  This is definitely next in line for my purse.

The Skyn Iceland cloths also smell nice.... really fresh.  I don't usually buy face cleansing cloths, but I like the idea for travel or the gym... or just really lazy days.

I really like the color of the mini Noyah lipstick.  I think it will be great for fall and winter.  It's a nice size to throw in my purse.  It swatches kind of matte which isn't usually my thing, but sometimes adventures force you out of your comfort zone, so I'm ready to give it a go.

Here's what I got in my September Glam Bag:

* Sorry there's no actual bag to show you.  I gave it to my fabulous sister-in-law.  The theme of this bag is "Street Style."

Sally Hansen: Miracle Gel - Redgy, Cailyn: Art Touch Tinted Lip Gloss - Basic Instinct, Pacifica: Natural Minerals - Fringe, Briogeo: Don't Despair, Repair! Deep conditioning mask, Be A Bombshell Cosmetics: Smooth Criminal Powder


So Shiny!

Lip Gloss Applicator

Lip Gloss Swatch

Eye Liner Swatch

These are my thoughts on my September Glam Bag products:

Sally Hansen Miracle Gel in the color Redgy.  This product claims "up to 14 days of lasting gel color & brilliant shine."  While I got no where near 14 days, I did get a solid 5, which is pretty good for me.  I really liked the finish... it actually does look like a gel manicure.  I liked the color, but would have preferred a darker, deeper red going into the fall.  This red looks kind of pinky-coral to me and is a color I would normally wear in the spring and summer.  I will definitely be buying this in other colors.

Cailyn Art Touch Tinted Lip Gloss in the color Basic instinct (09).  I really wanted to like this product... and I really didn't.  It is a beautiful peachy-nude in the bottle, but it looked terrible on.  It just isn't a color that works with my skin tone.  It ended up looking more orange and was really opaque for a "tinted" gloss.  I also didn't care for the applicator; it is kind of paddle-like and I found it a little awkward to use.  The final strike is the bad taste... not that anyone should be eating their lip gloss, but ew.  I will not be looking to buy this product.  Even in another color, I feel like there are other glosses out there with better applicators that don't taste nasty.

Pacifica Natural Minerals in the color Fringe.  I like this pencil liner.  It is a pretty chocolate brown, is creamy, and seems to have good staying power.  There are other eye liners I might purchase over this one, but I did like it and wouldn't rule it out.

Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair! Deep conditioning Mask.  This product claims to "increase hair elasticity to prevent breakage and promotes healthy shine."  I liked this conditioner a lot, however, I don't think it's moisturizing enough for my hair as a deep conditioner.  For my hair texture, this would be more like a daily conditioner for me.  It smells great though, and I would highly recommend this for someone with more "normal" hair.

Be A Bombshell Cosmetics Smooth Criminal Powder.  This is really nice setting powder.  I like it a lot... that said, it is my only setting powder, so I don't have much to compare it to.  It seems to hold up well throughout the day and I like how "smooth" it is.  I also think it does a nice job reducing creasing under my eyes.  What I don't like is that it is a loose powder.  I don't prefer loose products, in general.  I would consider re-purchasing this product if this one doesn't last forever... which it might.

Well, friends, I hope you enjoyed this un-boxing and review.

Do you subscribe to an IPSY Glam Bag?  What was your favorite September item?

Cheers,

Caitlin



No comments:

Post a Comment